Indian women strike gold at inaugural FIBA Asia 3x3

Last Updated: May 17, 2013, 14:23 PM IST

Doha: Indian women cagers clinched their first gold medal at a FIBA Asia event after an easy win against Mongolia in the final playoff game of the inaugural FIBA Asia 3x3 basketball tournament here.

Carrying forward the form of three successive wins on the opening day, the Indian women, with Geethu Anna Jose leading the challenge, won the three play-off games without breaking much sweat. India won all their three games reaching the 21-point mark with ample time left on the clock in each of their games.

‘We achieved what we set out for,’ said Jose, who was an overwhelming favorite in the All Stars nominations. ‘Things worked out rather well to our satisfaction and each of the team gave their contribution,’ she said.

Jose was at the vanguard but the rest of the Indian team had its share in the victory -- first for India in any competition in FIBA Asia events. India had won the gold at the Asian Beach Games at Haiyang last year.

Anitha Pauldurai was as crafty as ever in marshalling the resources and puncturing holes in the rival defense with her outside shooting. Manisha Dange gave a good account of herself in her comeback to international competitions with Pratima Singh providing the needed support.

Mongolia and Turkmenistan, the other two medalists, went through bitter-sweet moments each in the opposite order. Mongolia were gung-ho on beating Turkmenistan in the semifinals, despite playing with only two players (the other two ejected for four fouls each).

But when it came to the gold medal game, they found the experience and expertise of the Indian line-up a little too hot to handle. Nevertheless Mongolian women are returning home with their hearts filled with pride.

Turkmen women on the other hand, were visibly distraught after losing to Mongolia but their moment of joy came in the bronze medal play-off.

Nigyera Nagiyeva`s sizzling long ranger burnt the basket clinching the bronze in overtime after tying at 8-8 at the end of regulation time against Hong Kong.