Indians athletes will do well in Asian Games and CWG: PT Usha
Hyderabad: Sprint queen P T Usha is hopeful that Indians would do well in athletics in prestigious international tournaments such as Asian Games and Commonwealth Games scheduled to be held this year.
"I think athletics is coming up well. Last Olympics, two athletes came in the finals and one was 10th. It is coming up well. May be, next time, good chance is there," she told reporters here.
"Asian Games also this time, I think, India will do better performance. This time major competition is there. Asian Games, Common Wealth Games and even World Cup also," added Usha, who is a recipient of Padma Shri and Arjuna Award.
Usha was replying to a query about athletic scenario in the country and prospects of India in the Asian this year.
The 49-year-old said her pupils Tintu Luka and Jessy Joseph, who train at her academy in Kerala, are doing well and hold promise for the future.
"Very well. Tintu (Luka) is doing very well now. And even Jessy Joseph is also doing very well. Tintu is holding the record in seniors and the other girl is also holding a record," said Usha, who won 101 international medals in her career.
Replying to a query, Usha said coaching is tough compared to just being an athlete.
Asked if she had plans to set up similar academies in other states as well, she said infrastructure and support from respective state governments is required to establish the institution.
After our academy is full-fledged, then I can start in other places also. In other places, we need more support from states. Now our academy is coming up. Result-wise, we are top. But, infrastructure-wise, it is coming up still. I need support if I want to start. My Academy is not for Keralites alone, it is for all," she said.
Usha was speaking at an event here where KOOH Sports, a sports company, organised its nationwide talent hunt for the young sportspersons.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Attack on African nationals: Gen VK Singh slammed for his statement
- Nuke-armed Pakistan can 'target' Delhi in 5 minutes, claims AQ Khan
- Gorilla shot dead after child falls into enclosure at Cincinnati Zoo!
- Are increasing attacks on African students racial in nature?
- Are increasing attacks on African students racial in nature? - Part II
- WATCH: Relive Virat Kohli's dream run at IPL 2016 - Here's what the run machine did!
- Ban on large diesel vehicles a transient phase, says Jaitley
- Malegaon blast case: Sadhvi Pragya files for bail after NIA files fresh chargesheet
- Novak Djokovic poised to become first man to win $100 million in prize money
- Bihar Board class 10th results: More than 50 percent students fail in exams - Is this the reason?