Indians fail to cross qualifying round of Malaysia Open
New Delhi: Indian shuttlers competing in the qualifying round of the Malaysian Super Series suffered contrasting defeats to crash out of the prestigious tournament at Kuala Lumpur on Tuesday.
16-year-old progidy, P V Sindhu, who won three senior level titles in 2011 to jump to world number 31, played her heart out before losing 21-17 16-21 18-21 to Lydia Li Ya Cheah in the women`s singles qualifiers.
RMV Gurusaidutt, too, fought hard but could not get past Daren Liew and lost 16-21 21-13 23-25 to the Malaysian in the men`s singles competition.
Anand Pawar also failed to cross the qualifying hurdle and lost 20-22 18-21 to Mohamad Arif Abdul Latif in another men`s singles event in a 33-minute match.
Top Indian star Saina Nehwal will start her campaign from tomorrow in the women`s singles competition.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi Police arrests AAP MLA in the middle of press conference
- Pak grants 91-year-old Indian's last wish - a trip to his ‘ancestral home’
- Bihar: Acid attack on girl in Aurangabad district, victim critical
- MP: Dalit families migrating from village due to hooligans
- Is there any political clash between Akhilesh Yadav and Shivpal Yadav?
- 'North Korea now a nuclear threat to be reckoned with, Washington can expect more nuclear tests and missile launches'
- Two killed, 100 homes destroyed by fast-moving California wildfire
- 14 dead due to sudden flooding in US state of West Virginia
- Barack Obama designates first US LGBT national monument
- DECODED: How 'Brexit' threatens to undermine U.S.-Britain special relationship