Indians fail to cross qualifying round of Malaysia Open
New Delhi: Indian shuttlers competing in the qualifying round of the Malaysian Super Series suffered contrasting defeats to crash out of the prestigious tournament at Kuala Lumpur on Tuesday.
16-year-old progidy, P V Sindhu, who won three senior level titles in 2011 to jump to world number 31, played her heart out before losing 21-17 16-21 18-21 to Lydia Li Ya Cheah in the women`s singles qualifiers.
RMV Gurusaidutt, too, fought hard but could not get past Daren Liew and lost 16-21 21-13 23-25 to the Malaysian in the men`s singles competition.
Anand Pawar also failed to cross the qualifying hurdle and lost 20-22 18-21 to Mohamad Arif Abdul Latif in another men`s singles event in a 33-minute match.
Top Indian star Saina Nehwal will start her campaign from tomorrow in the women`s singles competition.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video