Indians miss SAG closing ceremony due to traffic jam
Dhaka: Mighty Indians ran away with a lion`s
share of the medals in the 11th South Asian Games but when it
came to the official march-past during the closing ceremony
only 11 members were in attendance with most of them stuck in
the traffic jam here.
The thin Indian contingent, who were the champions of the
South Asian Games, amused everyone present at the jam-packed
Bangabandhu National Stadium.
But as it later turned out, Indians numbers rose in
majority with many players and officials joining the side in
the middle in between the closing ceremony.
"Blame it on the traffic. We had started well in advance
but we were caught on the long traffic snarls. It really feels
bad as we could not show our strength in the official
march-past," said a member of the Indian contingent on
condition of anonymity.
The VVIP gathering which witnessed the march-past
included Indian Olympic Association president Suresh Kalmadi
and secretary general Randhir Singh, who were here to receive
the SAG torch and flag with India being the hosts of the next
edition of SAG in 2012.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!