Indians win 12 medals, including 4 gold in Asian GP athletics
Bangkok: Indian athletes produced an impressive performance by bagging 12 medals, including four gold medals, in the first leg of the Asian Grand Prix series here on Saturday.
M R Poovamma (women`s 400m), Sahana Kumari (women`s high jump), Jithin Thomas (men`s high jump) and Nitin Rawat (men`s 5000m) bagged a gold each while Siddhanth Thingalaya (men`s 110m hurdles), Rajiv Arokai (men`s 400m), Kheta Ram (men`s 5000m) and Renjith Maheswary (men`s triple jump) won a silver apiece.
Anu Mariam Jose (women`s 400m), Arpinder Singh (men`s triple jump) and Mukesh Kumari (women`s javelin) won a bronze each.
National record holder Maheswary missed the World Championships qualification standard by just two centimetres.
Ace woman discus thrower Krishna Poonia, however, finished a disappointing fourth with a below-par performance, while Om Prakash Karhana also came a cropper with a sixth-place finish in men`s shot put.
Poovamma gave India the first gold of the day by clocking 52.97 secs in women`s 400m race, a shade below her 52.75 sec effort which had fetched her a gold at Federation Cup National Athletics Championships at Patiala last month. She had also won gold in the same event in two of the three-leg Asian Grand Prix series last year.
Anu Mariam Jose bagged the bronze in 53.95 sec while Subashini Rasnayake of Sri Lanka won the silver in 53.35 sec.
Sahana Kumari gave India the second gold in women`s high jump by clearing 1.86m. Nadiya Dusanova of Uzbekistan was second in 1.86m and Wanida Boonwan of Thailand was third with 1.83m. Sahana, who competed in the London Olympics last year, holds the national record of 1.92m.
It was a 1-2 finish for India in men`s high jump with Jithin Thomas clearing 2.18m while Nikhil Chitarasu too came up with 2.18m but was adjudged second as he cleared the height in more attempts than his compatriot. Sun Zhao of China was third in 2.14m.
Nitin Rawat, who took part in the first leg on invitation from the organisers, fetched the fourth gold for India as he clocked 14:35.03 sec to win men`s 5000m race. His Indian team-mate Kheta Ram bagged the silver in 14:55.12 sec while Sri Lanka`s D L Samarajeewa was third in 15:10.91 sec.
But the highlight of the first leg was the Asian leading jump of 17.10m from Roman Valiyev of Kazakhstan beating arch rival Maheswary of India who missed World Championships `B` standard by just 2cm with an effort of 16.83m. The third place went to another Indian jumper Arpinder Singh, with 16.74m.
Meanwhile, the Chinese ruled the women`s discus throw as they won all the medals on offer, while Poonia finished with a below par 56.31m.
Poonia, who is set to take part in the prestigious Diamond League Meetings opening leg in Doha on May 10, has a personal best of 64.76m, which is also a national record.
Being early in the season, the athletes were finding it difficult to reach their best form and none could cross the 59m distance.
Jiang Fengjing won the gold in 58.11m while Su Xinyue (57.43m) and Liang Yan (56.74m) won the silver and bronze respectively.
National record holder shot putter, Om Prakash Karhana finished a disappointing sixth with an effort of 17.68m.
Another Indian Jasdeep Singh finished seventh in the same event with an effort of 17.50m. Olympian Karhana holds the national record in men`s shot put with 20.69m.
Wang Li Ke of China won the gold in the event with a heave of 18.91m while another Chinese Guo Yan Xiang cleared 18.64m for second place and Kamulya Grigority of Uzbekistan took third place in 18.62m.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- British tourist masturbated at in Mumbai; Indian men apologise
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM