India’s Virender Singh clinches gold medal in Deaflympics
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: Indian wrestler Virender Singh on Saturday won a gold medal in the men`s 74 kg freestyle event at the 22nd Deaflympics held in Sofia, Bulgaria.
The Delhi-based deaf and mute wrestler overcame Oguz Donder of Turkey in the final for the top prize. Hiavorh Adamian and Aleksandr Ochirovich Tsoktoev took the bronze medals.
This is Virender’s third straight medal at the special Olympics. The 28-year-old, nicknamed Goonga Pehelwan, claimed a gold medal at 2005 Deaflympics. He then pocketed a bronze in the 2009 event.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- Pakistan releases 163 Indian fishermen as goodwill gesture
- Washington Mayor calls Michelle Obama 'gorilla face', says 'she is attractive only to monkey man Barack'
- Drishyam earns Rs 17 cr in 2 days, Bajrangi clocks Rs 283 cr
- 'Baahubali' becomes first non-Hindi film to cross Rs 500 crore