India’s Virender Singh clinches gold medal in Deaflympics
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: Indian wrestler Virender Singh on Saturday won a gold medal in the men`s 74 kg freestyle event at the 22nd Deaflympics held in Sofia, Bulgaria.
The Delhi-based deaf and mute wrestler overcame Oguz Donder of Turkey in the final for the top prize. Hiavorh Adamian and Aleksandr Ochirovich Tsoktoev took the bronze medals.
This is Virender’s third straight medal at the special Olympics. The 28-year-old, nicknamed Goonga Pehelwan, claimed a gold medal at 2005 Deaflympics. He then pocketed a bronze in the 2009 event.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Jallikattu protests continue in Tamil Nadu, sea of protesters camp on Marina beach