India’s Virender Singh clinches gold medal in Deaflympics
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: Indian wrestler Virender Singh on Saturday won a gold medal in the men`s 74 kg freestyle event at the 22nd Deaflympics held in Sofia, Bulgaria.
The Delhi-based deaf and mute wrestler overcame Oguz Donder of Turkey in the final for the top prize. Hiavorh Adamian and Aleksandr Ochirovich Tsoktoev took the bronze medals.
This is Virender’s third straight medal at the special Olympics. The 28-year-old, nicknamed Goonga Pehelwan, claimed a gold medal at 2005 Deaflympics. He then pocketed a bronze in the 2009 event.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- PM Modi breaks protocol to receive Abu Dhabi Crown Prince Al Nahyan
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row- Part II
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Digangana Suryavanshi chops off her mane on Salman Khan's advice—See pics!