Indonesia to host badminton Super Series event
Jakarta: Indonesia`s landmark badminton stadium of Istora Senayan is scheduled to host badminton Super Series Indonesia Open from June 10 to 16.
Top shuttlers, including Lee Chong Wei from Malaysia, Lin Dan from China and Indonesian badminton legend Taufik Hidayat, will lead the field in the event.
"We pin hope on our mixed doubles and men`s doubles players to win titles at home this year. We would deploy more than 100 players in the tournament. Hopefully, we could, at least, secure one title of those five events," Gita Wirjawan, chairman of Indonesian Badminton Association (PBSI) told a press conference here Tuesday.
"The good performance of our team in the Sudirman Cup was a sign of the awakening in badminton sport. They were capable of beating the world`s most powerful team China," Gita added.
China edged past Indonesia 3-2 in the quarterfinals at the just ended Sudirman Cup.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Lalu Prasad Yadav calls PM Modi ''Kans'', BJP ''Bharat Jalao Party''
- What's the motive behind politicising Yakub Memon's death penalty?
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed