Infrastructure on fast track in Goa ahead of Lusofonia Games
Panaji: Goa Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar has said that infrastructural facilities needed for hosting the forthcoming Portuguese Commonwealth Games will be in place ahead of schedule.
"Entire infrastructure is being created across the state in the form of indoor and outdoor stadia, tracks etc among others, which would be in place by September 2013", Parrikar told PTI.
The commonwealth games, also known as Lusofonia Games, will kick off on November 3, 2013.
Parrikar, who also chairs the Organising Committee of this sporting event, informed that the entire facilities are being created at the cost of Rs 220 crore.
"The single span hall, being built at the Goa University Complex near here to host several indoor games, will be ready by April end", the chief minister said, adding that the state government intends to use the hall as a convention centre once Games are over.
He said an athletic ground is coming up at Bambolim, a village on the national highway connecting Panaji-Margao.
Another facility in the form of a running track is being developed at Peddem ground in Mapusa town, while existing Peddem indoor ground is being refurbished, he added.
Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium at Fatorda is also getting a facelift to host the Games.
The 3rd Lusofonia Games wherein the Portuguese-speaking nations participate, will be held in nine disciplines of athletics, basketball, football, judo, taekwondo, table tennis, volleyball, beach volleyball and wushu.
In all 12 countries--Angola, Brazil, Cape Verde, East Tumor, Guinea-Bissau, Macau (China), Mozambique, Portugal, Sao Tome, Principe, Equatorial Guinea, India and Sri Lanka--will participate in the Games.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee?
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part II
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part III
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part IV
- Are central govt employees justified in demanding salary hike?
- Baby boom! Teejay Sidhu and Karanvir Bohra to become parents for the first time
- Tripura Governor gets additional charge of Arunachal Pradesh
- Bucket list: You must try these things at least once before turning 25!
- 7th Pay Commission: 23.5% hike in salaries, minimum pay increased to Rs 18,000 per month; arrears to be paid this year
- These MPs may become ministers if PM Modi goes in for Cabinet reshuffle - List Inside