Infrastructure on fast track in Goa ahead of Lusofonia Games
Panaji: Goa Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar has said that infrastructural facilities needed for hosting the forthcoming Portuguese Commonwealth Games will be in place ahead of schedule.
"Entire infrastructure is being created across the state in the form of indoor and outdoor stadia, tracks etc among others, which would be in place by September 2013", Parrikar told PTI.
The commonwealth games, also known as Lusofonia Games, will kick off on November 3, 2013.
Parrikar, who also chairs the Organising Committee of this sporting event, informed that the entire facilities are being created at the cost of Rs 220 crore.
"The single span hall, being built at the Goa University Complex near here to host several indoor games, will be ready by April end", the chief minister said, adding that the state government intends to use the hall as a convention centre once Games are over.
He said an athletic ground is coming up at Bambolim, a village on the national highway connecting Panaji-Margao.
Another facility in the form of a running track is being developed at Peddem ground in Mapusa town, while existing Peddem indoor ground is being refurbished, he added.
Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium at Fatorda is also getting a facelift to host the Games.
The 3rd Lusofonia Games wherein the Portuguese-speaking nations participate, will be held in nine disciplines of athletics, basketball, football, judo, taekwondo, table tennis, volleyball, beach volleyball and wushu.
In all 12 countries--Angola, Brazil, Cape Verde, East Tumor, Guinea-Bissau, Macau (China), Mozambique, Portugal, Sao Tome, Principe, Equatorial Guinea, India and Sri Lanka--will participate in the Games.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees