Injury threatens Ian Thorpe`s Olympic dream
Sydney: Australia`s five-time Olympic gold medallist Ian Thorpe may have to abandon his dream of swimming at the 2016 Rio Olympics following a shoulder injury, according to a report.
Thorpe, 30, who failed to qualify for last year`s London Olympics, said the injury was restricting him in the training pool and he couldn`t reproduce the swims of earlier in his glittering career.
"I don`t want to be the old man who can`t do things -- to push out something that may not be realistic anymore," Thorpe told The Sunday Telegraph.
"Although I am going to continue swimming, realistically I don`t think I will be able to get back to a position where I am at the top of the sport."
Thorpe said he would continue to train with coach Gennadi Touretski purely for the love of swimming.
In his bid to make the Glasgow Commonwealth Games next year, and the Rio Olympics, Thorpe said he had increased his kilometres in the pool but was struggling to complete his training sessions.
Thorpe, who launched his comeback in 2011 after five years out of the sport, became Australia`s most decorated Olympian with five gold medals at the 2000 Sydney and 2004 Athens Games.
He became the first person to win six gold medals at one world championships in 2001, among 11 world titles overall -- along with 10 Commonwealth Games gold medals, six of them in Manchester in 2002.
Thorpe also broke 13 individual long-course world records.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state