International Heli-ski competition begins at Gulmarg
Srinagar:A three-day long international Heli-ski competition, a first of its kind event in Jammu and Kashmir, has begun at the world famous ski-resort of Gulmarg.
Around 200 skiers from across the country and outside have turned up to participate in the event that began on Thursday.
"There are participants from the state and other parts of the country as well as the US, Russia, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa and Canada. It includes some of the top international skiers," officials said here.
The competition has been organised by Kashmir Heli-Ski Club and sponsored by Airbus Helicopters.
The skiers were taken across to Afarwat peak (13,500 ft) in helicopters and dropped to manoeuvre through to reach the bottom of the slopes.
Thirty skiers qualified for the semifinals in the first round held on Thursday.
The officials said Heli-Ski is a challenging sport which has usually been pursued in international venues.
"The state government is making concerted efforts to promote Gulmarg as a key destination and possibly to qualify among the top ten skiing destinations in the world," the official said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- 'Selfie with daughter' controversy: Bollywood supports Shruti Seth