International Heli-ski competition begins at Gulmarg
Srinagar:A three-day long international Heli-ski competition, a first of its kind event in Jammu and Kashmir, has begun at the world famous ski-resort of Gulmarg.
Around 200 skiers from across the country and outside have turned up to participate in the event that began on Thursday.
"There are participants from the state and other parts of the country as well as the US, Russia, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa and Canada. It includes some of the top international skiers," officials said here.
The competition has been organised by Kashmir Heli-Ski Club and sponsored by Airbus Helicopters.
The skiers were taken across to Afarwat peak (13,500 ft) in helicopters and dropped to manoeuvre through to reach the bottom of the slopes.
Thirty skiers qualified for the semifinals in the first round held on Thursday.
The officials said Heli-Ski is a challenging sport which has usually been pursued in international venues.
"The state government is making concerted efforts to promote Gulmarg as a key destination and possibly to qualify among the top ten skiing destinations in the world," the official said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch - Parrikar's reply to Mamata's military coup claim
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'