International Ladies snooker event in Chennai
Chennai: Leading international cuiests have will be seen in action in the Artisticks-SVS All India Invitation Ladies Snooker tournament to be held here from December 16 to 19.
Chairman of the organising committee Sunil Mathews said that reigning world billiards champion Uma Devi of Karnataka, her statemate Chitra Magimairaj and the current national champion Vidya Pillai will be among those spearheading the Indian challenge.
The winner will take home a purse of Rs 25,000, the runner up Rs 15,000, the semi-finalists Rs 10,000 and the quarter-finalists Rs 5,000.
Besides, the player who runs up a break of 70 or above would be rewarded with Rs 2,500 for the highest break, he said.
The tournament will be conducted on league-cum-knock-out basis with three players placed in four groups in the league phase. The top two from each group will enter the quarterfinals when the knock out stage begins, he said.
International referee R B Ganesh, who will be the chief referee, said the event was being conducted in a bid to give a fillip to ladies snooker as well as other cue sports.
"The tournament is a first of its kind in the country offering the highest prize money," he claimed.
The Artisticks Trophy has been made by well known sculptor S K Srinivasan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy? Part II
- Xiaomi Redmi 4, Redmi Note 4 likely to be launched on Thursday
- Cabinet raises compensation for terror, blast victims
- Present ICC ranking system is not satisfactory: Javed Miandad
- Doctors say bill is 'black day' for surrogacy, will spawn corruption
- Naqvi launches websites for Ministry of Minority Affairs