IOA calls meeting to discuss Dow Olympic sponsorship row
New Delhi: With growing resentment in India over Down Chemicals association with the London Olympics, the IOA has convened a meeting on Friday to discuss the issue following IOC chief Jacques Rogge`s suggestion that they should enter into a dialogue with the athletes.
Although the IOA has made it clear that there was no question of India boycotting the Games, the meeting of the top brass assumes importance in the light of Rogge`s statement as well as the public outrage.
"A meeting has been called on December 9 to discuss issues related to this problem. The IOA`s general body and the Executive Board will meet on December 15," IOA Vice-President Tarlochan Singh said.
Tarlochan said all the issues related to Dow Chemicals sponsorship and the resentment it has created will be taken into account by the members before taking a final decision.
"The matter has to be thoroughly discussed, we can`t take a decision on our own. The sentiments of the people of Bhopal are also important," he said.
He said the IOA is aware of Rogge`s comments and would discuss his suggestion in the meeting.
Rogge had said that Dow Chemical, which took over Union Carbide -- the company responsible for the 1984 Bhopal Gas tragedy, was not directly liable in the case.
"Definitely, we respect a lot the emotion in India because this is a horrific catastrophe. While we understand the emotions and the grief, one has to say that Dow Chemical was not involved in the Bhopal issue," he has stated.
"We have advised the IOA to enter into a dialogue with their athletes and this is what they will do. I would hope the interest of sport and interest of the athletes will prevail."
The Indian government had asked the IOA to register a protest with the IOC on the matter as the tragedy`s victims have been outraged by Dow`s Olympic association.
In response, the IOA has promised to convey the concerns of the victims and Olympians to organisers of the 2012 London Games.
Dow Chemicals, which last year in July signed an agreement with the IOC, will foot the bill of a temporary decorative wrap over London`s Olympic Stadium and the move has created "dismay among the victims and others who see Olympic Games as celebration of best of human spirits."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM