IOA crisis can be avoided by calling off elections: Randhir
Patiala: Indian Olympics Association (IOA) Secretary General, Randhir Singh today said that by calling off the controversial December 5 election, the body can still avoid the suspension from the International Olympic Committee.
"We cannot bypass the Olympic charter as IOA name was given to us by IOC," he told reporters of the sidelines of the opening of second Asian Shotgun Championship and Grand Prix near here.
The IOC will propose the suspension to its Executive Board next week after being told that government regulations would apply for the IOA election.
"We can still avoid it by calling off the elections," Randhir Singh said.
"I have asked the president of IOA (Vijay Kumar Malhotra) not to hold the elections. The IOC has clearly said that they will not recognise the election results in the current scenario. What is the hurry?" asked Singh, who has withdrawn from the polling arena of IOA.
He also said that the IOA, the IOC and the Indian government can sit down and solve this issue and the elections can be held later.
"I have repeatedly told Malhotra that the IOC was very serious but they didn`t understand. They continued with the election process, they thought they can bully everyone," said Randhir.
"Our reputation had gone for a toss after the Commonwealth Games. We have been banking upon our athletes who did a good job in London. But then we are back to square one," he added.
Asked about India`s ace shooter Abhinav Bindra`s comment in which he had blamed Indian politicians for the current mess, Randhir said that "I totally agreed with him."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened