IOA delegation to go to Lausanna for talks
New Delhi: Rattled by the International Olympic`s committee`s renewed threat to suspend India, the IOA is sending a two-member delegation to Lausanne to meet top IOC officials and resolve the vexed issues surrounding its upcoming elections.
After a series of meetings among top IOA officials right through the day, it was decided that Hockey India secretary general Narinder Batra and lawyer R K Anand will fly to Lausanne soon to explain IOA`s position.
IOA Acting President Vijay Kumar Malhotra said that the IOA would respond to IOC`s letter by tomorrow, the last date given by the world body to explain IOA`s stand on the issue.
The IOA delegation comprising Batra and Anand will also meet the Sports Minister and other senior officials tomorrow to discuss the issue.
The IOC had yesterday made it clear that it will propose the suspension of IOA in its Executive Board Meeting early next month if the upcoming IOA elections are held under the government`s Sports Code, a development which has put the controversial polls under a cloud.
In a letter written by IOC Director General Christophe de Kepper to IOA acting chief V K Malhotra, the world body rejected IOA`s request to send an international delegation to resolve the issue and threatened to intiate the process of suspending the Indian sports body.
The world body reiterated its directive to the IOA as expressed in its letter on November 23 to present its position to the IOC by November 30 or face suspension.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'