IOA hails Randhir`s re-election as OCA secy gen
New Delhi: The Indian Olympic Association (IOA) has hailed Randhir Singh`s re-election as the secretary general of the Olympic Council of Asia (OCA) and described the development as a testimony of India`s growing prowess in the sporting world.
"Randhir Singh`s re-election for the record sixth term shows that OCA wants to make full use of his experience as sports administrator," IOA acting president Vijay Kumar Malhotra said in a statement.
He said it is a matter of pride for India that Randhir is also the IOC member and vice president of the Commonwealth Games Federation (CGF).
"No foreigner has raised any objection about his continuing in these posts for more than two terms," the IOA chief added.
Randhir was re-elected for a four-year term in absentia yesterday as he could not attend the OCA General Assembly meeting at Tokyo because of personal reasons.
"Yet all the 45 countries reposed the trust in him shows the high regards Indian sports administrators have in the International fora," Malhotra insisted.
Malhotra also chose the occasion to come hard on the Sports Ministry for continuously trying to infringe on the autonomy of National Sports Federations (NSFs).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Republican presidential race: Donald Trump hits out at Hillary Clinton and Ted Cruz ahead of Indiana primary
- Imran Khan demands ‘jail’ for Nawaz; reiterates Pak PM’s resignation over Panama Papers – Video inside
- Breathtaking dance steps performed by sibling goes viral – Watch video to believe it!
- Seven of marriage party electrocuted in Telangana
- IS-linked cell in Morocco planned attack in Brussels