IOA lashes out at Maken for using unchecked language
New Delhi: The Indian Olympic Association lashed out at Sports Minister Ajay Maken for saying that he has no faith in the IOA when it comes to handling huge amount of money with the body`s acting-President Vijay Kumar Malhotra demanding a withdrawal of the statement.
Blaming the minister for playing a double game, the IOA warned him that these cheap tactics are going to boomerang on him sooner than later.
"Exuberance does not mean that one should cross limits of decency. One has to temper with his language," the IOA acting president Vijay Kumar Malhotra said in a statement here.
Maken had claimed that the Government has no faith in the IOA and the sports organisation cannot be trusted to handle big amounts.
He had also expressed his apprehension regarding the conduct of the South Asian Games (SAG) here next year. "We are shocked and dismayed at the language used by the sports minister against IOA. We never expected him to stoop so low with his expressions against the premier sports organisation," Malhotra said.
"It is time that he stops this sinister and malicious campaign against the IOA," he added.
Malhotra also demanded an explanation regarding when the IOA asked him for money from the minister? And if he did not trust them then why his ministry was repeatedly writing letters, seeking help and assistance in hosting the SAG.
"It is strange that while on one hand you compliment IOA for taking positive initiatives like setting up of court of arbitration, ethics and anti-doping commissions and your officials are in touch with us on regular basis and on the other hand, you are carrying on your ill conceived campaign against the IOA and National Sports Federations (NSF) on regular basis.”
"So we want to know what is your `game plan`," asked Malhotra.
Stating that the IOA has received four letters from the Government seeking an early meeting with regards to the hosting of the SAG next year, the acting president said, "If you have no faith in us then why your ministry is desperate to seek meeting with the IOA?"
Malhotra also asserted that the "IOA does not wish to deal with the Government money".
"As per the IOC charter it is only the National Olympic Committee (NOC) of a country which can conduct any International event and in the case of IOA is the NOC."
IOA has also pointed out that for the conduct of SAG, it would like the government to deal with the financial aspect.
"We want the government agencies to handle the expenditure and income from TV rights, sponsorships, advertisement etc. and Delhi Government can take charge of opening and closing ceremony," insisted Malhotra.
"IOA will also like to have a some senior cabinet minister, as its nominee, to be the chairman of the Organising Committee," he added.
Insisting that hosting the SAG is national commitment, Malhotra said the IOA will do its best to make it technically successful event.
"Conduct is our responsibility, rest is Governments. We do not have to incur anything into infrastructure."
Further stating that no international or national sporting event related with Olympic disciplines can be held in India without the approval of the IOA, Malhotra said, The minister should be fully aware of this important fact. The technical Conduct of the Commonwealth Games which was IOA`s responsibility was universally appreciated."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow