IOA may soon have temporary post of Hony Chairman
New Delhi: The Indian Olympic Association soon may have a temporary post of Honourary Chairman who would be appointed by the IOA President and whose role would be only advisory in nature.
This was discussed in a meeting, which deliberated on the proposed amendments to the Constitution of IOA.
The meeting held on April 22 between the Sports Ministry and suspended IOA officials, was held under the chairmanship of Sports Secretary P K Deb in a bid to bring about a concensus with regard to the contentious clauses in the IOA constitution.
According to the minutes of the meeting, the "General Assembly may create a temporary post of Honourary Chairman of IOA".
"The Honourary Chairman shall be appointed by the President in consultation with the Executive Council. The term of the Honourary Chairman will be co-terminus with the term of the Executive Council.
"The post will carry no executive power and the honourary Chairman shall not have a right to cast a vote in any meeting of the IOA," according to the minutes of the meeting.
It was further discussed that "The post of the President, Secretary General and Treasurer shall be called as Executive Posts/Office Bearers".
As far as the Sports Bill was concerned, Deb told the members present in the meeting that he has informed IOC about the bill.
"Once the draft is ready it will be sent to IOC for their consent and only after the consent of IOC, further action will be taken on Sports Bill."
The meeting also discussed that the "definition of eminent sportspersons has to be reviewed".
"Any sportsperson who has participated in any Senior national Championship or is a medal winner in any Junior National Championship will be considered as eminent sportsperson."
It was also discussed that the "recognition of NSF" should be reviewed and should be one-time affair and should be linked only with Government grant.
The meeting also agreed upon the draft letter to be written by the NSF and the State Olympic Associations to the President of the IOA requesting an immediate convening of a Special General Meeting of the IOA to carry out the above amendments and to call for fresh elections.
Interestingly, the Sports Secretary will prepare and circulate the draft.
"I will prepare and circulate the draft letter as soon as the wordings of the above amendments are finalised," Deb is quoted as saying in the minutes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only?
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part II
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part III
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part IV
- Rajinikanth's 'Kabali' releases early morning at 6 am in Mumbai!
- Women suffering from ADHD more prone to suicidal tendencies, says study
- Muslim man removed from flight after attendant announced, 'Mohamed Ahmed, I will be watching you'
- Russia Doping: A chronology of major events
- 120 Taliban, ISIS militants killed in wide-scale operations by Afghan army, cops
- China, Pakistan launch first joint border patrols near Xinjiang