IOA`s Asiad bid in jeopardy
New Delhi: India`s chances of hosting the 2019 Asian Games was in jeopardy as the Olympic Council of Asia today refused the Indian Olympic Association`s request for extension of deadline for submission of final bid documents by 15 days.
The deadline to submit the final bid ended yesterday, but with the government yet to take a decision on the issue, the Indian Olympic Association (IOA) had sent a letter to Olympic Council of Asia (OCA) requesting for extension of the July 1 deadline.
However, the OCA refused to extend the deadline, citing shortage of time as an evaluation team will need to assess the bidding cities before taking a decision on a venue.
The Asian body said it can consider India`s bid if the country can submit the documents in a "couple of days".
"I regret to inform you that due to the extreme shortage of time, it is impossible for the OCA to extend the deadline any further. Within this two month period we need to establish the evaluation team that will visit the bidding cities and submit its report to the OCA Executive Board on 19th September," a letter from the OCA to IOA said.
"However, if you are able to still submit the guarantees within the next couple of days, OCA is willing to consider IOA`s bid very positively," said the letter written by OCA Director General Husain Al Musallam to IOA Secretary General Rajeev Mehta.
The IOA will need to submit the OCA various guarantees from the government. It will have to get clearances from various ministries and also from the Cabinet, which are unlikely to fructify in such a short period.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you