IOA`s reluctance to amend constitution upsets Sports Ministry
New Delhi: Reacting to IOA`s reluctance to amend its constitution as per IOC`s directive to bar charge-framed persons from contesting election, the Sports Ministry today expressed concern over the ongoing impasse and reiterated that the deadlock must be resolved at the earliest.
The IOA, in a special General Body Meeting yesterday, proposed to refer the cases of those persons against whom charges have been framed for offences that carry punishment of a jail term of more than two years to a nine-member Ethics Commission.
It, however, said that there would be no bar to contest elections on persons against whom charges have been framed for offences, which carry a jail term of less than two years.
"The Government of India has noted that a Special General Body Meeting of the Indian Olympic Association has not agreed to carry out some of the amendment to its constitution, as required by International Olympic Committee," Sports Minister Jitendra Singh stated in a release.
"The Government of India stands committed to zero tolerance on criminality in sports and adherence to ethics and good governance in sports in the country. The Government is concerned about the ongoing impasse between IOC and IOA and is watching the developments closely," he added.
The Minister also insisted on resolving the matter at the earliest so that the suspension on India could be lifted.
"The Government of India is of the view that the deadlock between the IOA and IOC should be resolved at the earliest so that the suspension of the IOA is lifted and Indian sportspersons/teams are able to participate in international sporting events under the Indian National flag," the release said.
The IOC had asked the IOA to amend its constitution in order to bar charge-sheeted persons from contesting elections.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested