IOA`s suspension will be beneficial for Indian sports: Khan
Bhopal: Former hockey Olympian Aslam Sher Khan today said the suspension imposed on the Indian Olympic Association (IOA) by International Olympic Committee (IOC) will prove beneficial for sports in the country.
"The IOC basically wanted IOA to adhere to its charter and conduct elections so that persons with tainted background can be prevented from entering the sports body. This will definitely prove beneficial for sports and the country in future," Aslam told reporters.
Citing China`s example in this regard, he said in the 60s, the Communist nation also faced similar situation following which they had resolved all their problems and emerged as a major sports power to reckon with in 10 years.
The IOC suspended the IOA because of government interference, a development which puts a bar on the country`s Olympic participation.
The decision was largely expected as IOA decided to go ahead with the elections under the government`s Sports Code as per the Delhi High Court directive, defying the IOC`s diktat to hold the polls under the Olympic Charter.
Aslam said despite IOC and the government trying to cleanse sports bodies, a number of "tainted persons" managed to become bosses of sports bodies.
Without taking any names, he said it could have been better if those persons had opted out on their own and not contested the polls.
The former Olympian said that morality demands that persons should emerge clean from all taints and then only enter prestigious bodies.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- BSF cancels beating the retreat ceremony at Wagah post surgical strikes
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’