IOA Secy Gen writes to NSFs for views on 2019 Asiad bid
New Delhi: IOA Secretary General Rajeev Mehta today asked all the National Sports Federations and state Olympic bodies to express their views in writing if the country should bid for 2019 Asian Games, saying the General Body Meeting cannot be called due to paucity of time.
"As you are aware, the last date to submit the bid by countries for the hosting of the 2019 Asian Games is 1st July 2014 and also this issue has been in news since last few days," Mehta said in a letter addressed to the Presidents and General Secretaries of all the NSFs and state Olympic associations.
"The Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports, Government of India has already shown their keenness in supporting a bid from IOA to host the Games.
"Since we do not have sufficient time to call a meeting of General House to take the approval/consent for submitting a bid for the hosting of these Games, I am requesting all members vide this email to give their consent by email either in favour of submitting a bid for the hosting of the 2019 Asian Games in New Delhi or against the submission of a bid," Mehta said.
Mehta had told PTI last month that the IOA would approach the new government to bid for the 2019 Asian Games after Vietnam capital Hanoi withdrew its hosting rights in April but his president N Ramachandran later said no decision has been taken on the issue.
Just three days back, Ramachandran had told Sports Minister Sarbananda Sonowal that IOA was yet to take a decision on mounting a bid though the deadline to do so is approaching.
Hanoi was chosen in 2012 to host the 18th Asian Games ahead of Indonesia`s Surabaya but the Vietnamese capital withdrew in April due to economic pressures.
Indonesia has expressed its willingness to step in as a replacement and a final decision on the host city will be decided on September 20 during the Incheon Asian Games.
India, which hosted the Games in 1951 and 1982, had bid for hosting this year`s Asian Games but had lost out to Incheon in 2007.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Is there life after death?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results declared