IOA suspension culmination of dirty politics: Bhupathi
New Delhi: Veteran Indian tennis player Mahesh Bhupathi feels the suspension of the Indian Olympic Association by the IOC is a "culmination of dirty politics".
"I am not sure who is personally responsible for this but from what I hear and read, it`s a culmination of dirty politics," Bhupathi said.
The IOA has suspended by the International Olympic Committee for not adhering to the Olympic charter in its election process.
Adding to the woes of Indian sports is the provisional suspension of the Indian Amateur Boxing Federation by its parent body AIBA for "possible manipulation" in elections.
Bhupathi said the developments are embarrassing.
"...I am not sure when this has happened last to any country, not being able to represent India for the sportsperson at any international meet is punishing and for absolutely no fault of theirs," he said.
However, the veteran Davis Cupper said it turn out to be a blessing in disguise for Indian sports "as long as someone in a position to make a difference takes the lead and starts cleaning up the mess one by one."
"...I have always said it needs to be a mix of sportspersons and business-savvy folks; once this is done, I am sure we will change the culture in India.
"If it is done it will be a very unique achievement and nothing special or unique is easy to do, but it can be done," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Historic solar flight marks first round-the-world journey
- Akshay Kumar’s avatar in John Abraham, Varun Dhawan starrer ‘Dishoom’ will surprise you– See pic
- Bangladesh police storm militant hideout, kill 9 Islamist extremists in Dhaka
- Anita Hassanandani, Rohit Reddy’s Maldives trip will give you vacation goals- See Pics
- India will never forget sacrifices of soldiers: PM Narendra Modi on Kargil Vijay Diwas