IOA to set up panel to pick boxers for CWG, Asiad
New Delhi: With Indian Boxing Federation`s return to the fold of its international body likely to take time, the Indian Olympic Association is set to constitute a committee to pick the teams for the upcoming Commonwealth and Asian Games.
A top IOA official told PTI that in view of the upcoming Glasgow CWG (July 23-August 3) and Incheon Asian Games (Sept 19-Oct 4), a committee will be constituted to pick the India boxers as the deadline for sending the final list of participants for these showpiece multi-sporting events is fast approaching.
"The CWG and Asiad are a few months away and deadline for sending final list of participants will be approaching. But the situation is fluid now as we don`t know how long it takes for the boxing issue to be resolved," the official said.
"So, we have decided to form a committee to pick teams for the CWG and Asian Games. It may be done during the April 3 Executive Committee meeting or a few days later. We have to do it fast," he said.
The committee is expected to be assisted by boxing coaches and other technical staff in picking the players.
International Boxing Federation (AIBA) has suspended the IBF in view of the confusion over which body is running the sport in the country. AIBA has invited applications from various Indian boxing groups to find out who can run the sport in the country through an election.
Asked if the IOA`s step would not take it to a collision course with the AIBA, the official said, "AIBA had asked for IOA`s cooperation in resolving the issue in a letter sent to us. So I don`t see any issue in that.
"Moreover, it`s about India`s prestige and performance in these two major Games. We have to think about winning medals and if the boxing issue is not solved before CWG and Asian Games, should not we send our boxers in these two Games?" he asked.
Meanwhile, IOA chief N Ramachandran has met International Olympic Committee chief Thomas Bach in Lausanne. Ramachandran is expected to brief the details of the meeting to the IOA top brass in its executive committee meeting here on April 3.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested