IOA writes to Central & Delhi govts on 2019 Asian Games bid
New Delhi: The Indian Olympic Association (IOA) on Tuesday began the process of seeking government approval, required to mount a bid for hosting the 2019 Asian Games by writing to the Sports Ministry and Delhi Lieutenant Governor.
The Olympic Council of Asia had asked the IOA to furnish several bid documents, including approval from the Cabinet and the Delhi government, so that the country can complete the bidding process before July 1 deadline. "Myself and Secretary General (Rajeev Mehta) today wrote to Sports Ministry and Delhi government requesting for the governments` considered views on the Asian Games bid. Once the IOA receives the government`s response, we will take up the issue further with the OCA," IOA President N Ramachandran told PTI today.
Mehta said that the ball is now in the government`s court as it will have the final say on the hosting of the Games.
"The IOA wants to host the Asian Games. But we can`t do anything without the government`s approval. The funding will have to come from the government. So the ball is now in the government`s court," Mehta said.
"Today, both I and IOA president sent letters by hand to Sports Minister and Delhi Lt. Governor, stating the various assurances and approvals required for a complete bid as have been mentioned in the letter from the OCA."
"The replies to the letters may even reach us tomorrow itself. Both me and my president will also meet the sports minister in Kerala on June 26, where he will attend an event to announce the schedule of National Games," said Mehta.
Welcoming India's expression of interest to host the 2019 Asian Games, the OCA had asked the IOA to submit several documents before July 1 deadline.
The documents required are: Cabinet approval for IOA's bid, letters of support from Chief Minister or Lt Governor of Delhi, from Sports Minister, from leader of majority party and leader of opposition party, letter of guarantee on tax exemption of Marketing/Games Revenue, letter of assurance on waiver of customs duties, letter of confirmation on opening of a bank account outside India with regard to Marketing Revenues, letter of confirmation on distribution of marketing revenues 50 per cent for OCA and 50 per cent for Local Organising Committee, letter of Guarantee on the PR Campaign for USD 15 million, letter on refundable deposit of USD 2 million as guarantee deposit against cancellation of the Games, letter of allocation of USD 30 million to the OCA broadcast services for host Broadcast of the Games.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Gujarat ATS arrest two people for planning a bomb blast in Rajkot's Chotila temple
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy
- Gurmehar Kaur controversy: Twitter turns into battleground after Virender Sehwag trolls Kargil martyr's daughter