IOC boss meets Putin, discusses Sochi Games preparations
Sochi: On his first official visit to Sochi as International Olympic Committee President, Thomas Bach has met Russian President Vladimir Putin and other dignitaries to discuss preparations for the Winter Games next February and inspect the sites first-hand with only 100 days to go until the opening ceremony.
Bach Tuesday visited the Athletes’ Village, Main Media Centre and Fisht Olympic Stadium in the Coastal Cluster, before heading to the Mountain Cluster in the afternoon.
"With only 100 days to go, the Sochi 2014 venues look impressive, and I am confident that the athletes competing this February will be delighted with them," said Bach.
"They have already been fully tested over the past two winter seasons, and once filled with sports fans from around the world, I’m confident that the Olympians of 2014 will be able to go home with some unforgettable memories."
Tuesday, Putin and Bach officially opened the Adler railway terminal, which will be the main artery linking the two clusters of sports venues during the Games, handling an estimated 15,000 passengers per hour.
Bach also met with the staff and volunteers of the Organising Committee. Wednesday Bach is scheduled to open the 10th IOC World Conference on sport and environment, taking place in Sochi from Oct 30 to Nov 1.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on breaking the law over cow security
- Panel discussion on breaking the law over cow security - Part II
- Panel discussion on breaking the law over cow security - Part III
- When will Indian roads become free from potholes and open manholes?
- When will Indian roads become free from potholes and open manholes? - Part II
- 'Indian economy stands out amongst emerging markets'
- Indian Cricket Coach Selection: Ravi Shastri 'done' with Indian cricket team, wants to move on
- Chancellor Angela Merkel tells Britain no 'cherry-picking' in Brexit talks
- Shiv Sena questions Modi over his black money promise
- Water tanker scam: ACB trying to arrest me, says Delhi Water Minister Kapil Mishra