IOC calls joint meeting of IOA, sports minister this month
New Delhi: In a significant move towards resolving the issues that led to India`s ban from the Olympic family, the IOC has asked the Indian Olympic Association to fix a date, in consultation with the Sports Minister, for a meeting before the end of this month in its headquarters in Lausanne.
Three months after the IOA was banned on the ground of government interference, the IOC has written back to the Indian body for a meeting to discuss a roadmap towards resolving the issues by way of holding elections under a revised constitution.
The letter was written to V K Malhotra, the acting chief of the IOA before it was banned on December 4 last, and IOC member in India Randhir Singh, who was also the Secretary General before the suspension.
"We are writing to you to follow up on our letter of 14 January 2013 and to renew our invitation to you to come to Lausanne together with the Sports Minister of India for a joint meeting with the IOC and OCA," the letter said.
"To that effect, we hereby request that you agree with the Sports Minister on a suitable date to come to Lausanne, which should be no later than 31 March 2013, and that you submit a concrete proposal to us by the end of next week," it said.
"As soon as we agree on a date, we will of course extend an official invitation to the Sports Minister," said the letter written jointly by Pere Miro, NOC Relations Director of the IOC, and Husain Al-Musallam, Director General and Technical Director of Olympic Council of Asia.
The IOC made it clear that the current IOA dispensation under Abhay Singh Chautala will have no role in the meeting.
"We also request that, for this joint meeting, the suspended IOA be represented by you and by a few other prominent members of Executive Committee of suspended IOA (as it was before the suspension of IOA). In view of this, please submit to us the names and functions of the people who will make up the delegation of the suspended IOA," the letter said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- The inside story of IC-814 hijacking
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown