IOC edge out Air India to lift Bombay Gold Cup
Mumbai: Air India 5-3 to lift the 48th Bombay Gold Cup hockey tournament, here on Sunday.
In a well-matched final in which both teams fought tooth and nail, it was current international S V Sunil who struck two field goals in four minutes when the teams were level at 3-all late in the second half to swing the match in IOC`s favour.
Arman Qureshi put AI 1-0 up in the 23rd minute which was neutralised by India full back V Raghunath, who converted a penalty corner in the 26th.
Prabodh Tirkey sounded the board off a penalty corner to put AI 2-1 ahead in the 33rd minute only to see IOC bounce back again when the ebullient and opportunistic former international Deepak Thakur found the mark in the last minute of the first half and the teams adjourned for the break deadlocked 2-2.
AI again raised visions of victory when India discard Shivendra Singh got into the goal scoring act in the 41st but another ex-international Prabjot Singh came to his side`s rescue two minutes later to make it 3-all.
Then came the twin strike within a short period of time by the highly impressive Sunil to swing the game IOC`s way.
Sunil was duly named the man of the tournament by the Sports Journalists Association of India and received a cheque for Rs 5000 from newly appointed chief national coach Terry Walsh at the end of the tournament.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm