IOC sets deadlines for suspended IOA
New Delhi: The International Olympic Committee (IOC) Friday asked the suspended Indian Olympic Association (IOA) to amends its constitution by July 15 and hold fresh elections no later than Sep 1 for getting back to the Olympic fold.
The IOC had suspended IOA Dec 4 for not complying with the Olympic charter.
IOC director general Christopher de Kepper, in a letter addressed to Sports Minister Jitendra Singh and IOA acting president Vijay Kumar Malhotra, among others, said the international body`s meeting with the Indian delegation in Lausanne May 15 was fruitful.
Based on what transpired in the meeting, the IOC has come up with a roadmap aimed at removing the IOA suspension, said de Kepper.
"The IOA shall hold an extraordinary meeting of its members (no later than July 15) to review its constitution and ensure that all standards of good governance and ethics are effectively addressed and implemented in the new constitution," said de Kepper in the letter.
"The proposals for amendments will come from the membership of the suspended IOA and from the IOC. These amendment proposals (which will be submitted to this extraordinary meeting) will be closely coordinated between the IOC member in India, the IOC administration and a representative of the sports federations of the suspended IOA."
About holding free and fair elections, Kepper said: "The IOA shall hold an elective general assembly (not later than Sep 1) to elect the new office bearers of IOA. The election process will be conducted by the election commission in a free, fair and transparent manner."
He proposed a three-member panel for overseeing the elections.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy?
- 'Doctor Strange' trailer: As spellbinding as it could be!- Watch
- RIL, BP spend Rs 4,500 crore to maintain gas output at KG-D6
- Government to set up special court for all NSEL cases
- Vijay Mallya's 8 luxury cars to be auctioned for Rs 14 lakh
- Fourteen killed, over 20 wounded in suicide attack in Iraq's Kadhmiyah