IOC warns Rio: `Time is of the essence`
Rio de Janeiro: The International Olympic Committee (IOC) has sounded a warning to Rio 2016 officials about delays to key infrastructure projects.
The IOC`s coordination commission completed a three-day inspection of the city Wednesday, saying the next 12 months would be crucial to the Games` preparations, reports Xinhua.
"Many projects will have to be delivered simultaneously," commission president Nawal El Moutawakel said during a press conference.
"Despite this large amount of work still to be done, we remain confident, but we must all stay vigilant and continue to work hard so that the timelines are respected."
The visit was the commission`s fourth since Rio won the right to host the Games in October 2009.
On the agenda were meetings with government leaders and local organisers along with tours of venues such as the revamped Maracana Stadium, which will stage the opening and closing ceremonies.
"We will leave Rio satisfied by what we have seen and heard," El Moutawakel said. "Time is of the essence but we have confidence that Rio and Brazil will deliver.
Despite the IOC`s optimism, several important issues remain unresolved.
Local organisers are yet to reveal an official budget for the Games while venues for rugby, golf, basketball, diving and dancing are still undecided.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Top wrestler Narsingh fails dope test, may miss Olympics
- UP: At least 7 children killed as school van collides with train in Bhadohi
- Rajasthan HC acquits Salman Khan in two chinkara poaching cases
- Watch - Moment of Kabul suicide blast caught on camera
- Devotees throng Lord Shiva temples to celebrate first Monday of 'Saawan'
- 11 injured in blast in German city of Ansbach; suspected bomber killed in explosion
- Scoreboard: India vs West Indies, First Test
- Donald Trump threatens to leave WTO
- British PM Theresa May heads to N. Ireland for Brexit talks
- Rio Olympics: WADA 'disappointed' as IOC fails to ban Russia for mega event