Iran cyclists get Indian visa at 11th hour
New Delhi: Iran`s cycling team has got the Indian visa at the 11th hour, paving the way for their participation in the Hero Asian Championships beginning here from Thursday.
Iran with Pakistan and Afghanistan could get not the visa in time as their case was stuck in the Intelligence Bureau under the Indian home ministry. Asian giant Iran`s presence in the competition was considered important by the organisers, Cycling Federation of India (CFI).
Navid Kasirian, manager of international affairs with the Iran Cycling Federation, confirmed that the team is finally leaving for New Delhi.
"We have finally got the visa for our contingent. Eleven of the cyclists will be leaving early Wednesday morning and the rest on Friday. However, we should have got the visa long ago. It is a shame that we could not reach India well in advance. We were aiming for at least 10 medals which now look unlikely as the riders have not trained at the venue yet," Kasirian said from Tehran.
Iran`s challenge at the meet will be spearheaded by 2006 and 2010 Asian champion Mehdi Sohrabi.
Meanwhile, Pakistan and Afghanistan`s participation in the March 7-17 event is still under doubt.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk - Part II
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra addresses people of Haryana
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Monsanto lobbies with US lawmakers on Indian regulatory issues
- Another on brink of extinction: Northern spotted owl added to endangered species list
- This teen daughter of slain Indian Army captain will leave all Muslim-haters red faced – WATCH
- India's 1-run loss to West Indies: Twitter world, especially KING VIRU go crazy
- China's top 500 firms report first revenue decline in 15 years