Ishpreet Chadha claims under-25 snooker title
Mumbai: Maharashtra`s junior and sub junior champion Ishpreet Singh Chadha trounced Zubin Leninwala of Indian Snooker Academy 4-1 to clinch NSCI-BSAM All India Under-25 Snooker Challenge 1 title, here today.
Chadha, who shocked title favourite Laxman Rawat in the semi-finals, romped to a 59-10, 48-53, 62-52, 65-48, 65-35 win in the best-of-seven frame summit clash at the National Sports Club of India.
Leninwala frittered away many advantages he had from the start, including substantial leads, and paid the price for the missed opportunities.
On the other hand, Chadha, although not at his best, seized his chances and dominated what could have been a close contest had Leninwala remained on cue.
After bagging the third frame narrowly, Chadha, who trains under two-time Asian champion Yasin Merchant, recovered from a 20-point deficit in the crucial fourth and surged to a 3-1 lead after potting the blue and firing a pink cannon that was the shot of the day.
Leninwala had the crucial fifth frame within his grasp that would have set the stage for an exciting finish. But after holding on to a slender lead, he missed a simple red in the centre pocket, one of his many blemishes.
It paved the way for Chadha to surge ahead with impressive potting and positioning until a break of 25, which was significant and put him well ahead, ended prematurely but was good enough to seal victory.
"It was a well-earned victory especially after all the hard work. All the credit goes to my coach Yasin Merchant and my mother Bobby," said a delighted Chadha who has earned a playing membership from one of the city`s top clubs, the Bombay Gymkhana.
"Zubin was not at his best and I just capitalised on my chances by playing my normal game," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued