Ishpreet Chadha claims under-25 snooker title
Mumbai: Maharashtra`s junior and sub junior champion Ishpreet Singh Chadha trounced Zubin Leninwala of Indian Snooker Academy 4-1 to clinch NSCI-BSAM All India Under-25 Snooker Challenge 1 title, here today.
Chadha, who shocked title favourite Laxman Rawat in the semi-finals, romped to a 59-10, 48-53, 62-52, 65-48, 65-35 win in the best-of-seven frame summit clash at the National Sports Club of India.
Leninwala frittered away many advantages he had from the start, including substantial leads, and paid the price for the missed opportunities.
On the other hand, Chadha, although not at his best, seized his chances and dominated what could have been a close contest had Leninwala remained on cue.
After bagging the third frame narrowly, Chadha, who trains under two-time Asian champion Yasin Merchant, recovered from a 20-point deficit in the crucial fourth and surged to a 3-1 lead after potting the blue and firing a pink cannon that was the shot of the day.
Leninwala had the crucial fifth frame within his grasp that would have set the stage for an exciting finish. But after holding on to a slender lead, he missed a simple red in the centre pocket, one of his many blemishes.
It paved the way for Chadha to surge ahead with impressive potting and positioning until a break of 25, which was significant and put him well ahead, ended prematurely but was good enough to seal victory.
"It was a well-earned victory especially after all the hard work. All the credit goes to my coach Yasin Merchant and my mother Bobby," said a delighted Chadha who has earned a playing membership from one of the city`s top clubs, the Bombay Gymkhana.
"Zubin was not at his best and I just capitalised on my chances by playing my normal game," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- SSC CGL 2016 exam dates out; read the eligibility criteria, registration details
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another