Ishpreet Chadha claims under-25 snooker title
Mumbai: Maharashtra`s junior and sub junior champion Ishpreet Singh Chadha trounced Zubin Leninwala of Indian Snooker Academy 4-1 to clinch NSCI-BSAM All India Under-25 Snooker Challenge 1 title, here today.
Chadha, who shocked title favourite Laxman Rawat in the semi-finals, romped to a 59-10, 48-53, 62-52, 65-48, 65-35 win in the best-of-seven frame summit clash at the National Sports Club of India.
Leninwala frittered away many advantages he had from the start, including substantial leads, and paid the price for the missed opportunities.
On the other hand, Chadha, although not at his best, seized his chances and dominated what could have been a close contest had Leninwala remained on cue.
After bagging the third frame narrowly, Chadha, who trains under two-time Asian champion Yasin Merchant, recovered from a 20-point deficit in the crucial fourth and surged to a 3-1 lead after potting the blue and firing a pink cannon that was the shot of the day.
Leninwala had the crucial fifth frame within his grasp that would have set the stage for an exciting finish. But after holding on to a slender lead, he missed a simple red in the centre pocket, one of his many blemishes.
It paved the way for Chadha to surge ahead with impressive potting and positioning until a break of 25, which was significant and put him well ahead, ended prematurely but was good enough to seal victory.
"It was a well-earned victory especially after all the hard work. All the credit goes to my coach Yasin Merchant and my mother Bobby," said a delighted Chadha who has earned a playing membership from one of the city`s top clubs, the Bombay Gymkhana.
"Zubin was not at his best and I just capitalised on my chances by playing my normal game," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- AIB: Polythene ban - Do we care enough?
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam