Isinbayeva excited to be Sochi torchbearer
Moscow: Russian pole vault star Yelena Isinbayeva said she was proud to be a torchbearer of the Sochi Winter Olympics.
"It`s really cool to be a torchbearer, to touch the Winter Games, because this is something different from the Summer Olympics," Isinbayeva as saying on Wednesday.
"It will be lovely just to be there," said the Athens and Beijing Olympic champion, who has also been appointed the mayoress of the coastal athletes` village.
The 31-year-old veteran will retire after the next month`s World Athletics Championships in Moscow, and later she will act as an ambassador for Russian sport in the country`s first-ever Winter Olympics in February.
Russia`s torch relay is set to travel a record 65,000 km through all 83 regions with 14,000 carriers.
After arriving from Greece in October, the flame will commence its tour on Oct 7 in Moscow. It will head east and loop around the Kamchatka Peninsula, down to Vladivostok and back across southern Siberia via Lake Baikal, the world`s largest freshwater lake.
The torch will go back into European Russia after making its way through more than 2,900 towns and cities, eventually settling down at the Black Sea resort of Sochi for the opening ceremony on Feb 7, 2014.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- NIA busts ISIS module in Hyderabad; 11 arrested
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee?
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part II
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part III
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part IV
- Here's a docu-fiction on the journey of 'Sultan'! Watch video
- Vodafone tax case: HC allows penalty proceedings to go on
- EU leaders meet without Cameron over Brexit vote
- Gareth Southgate set to become the new England manager on temporary basis
- Jumbo takes flight! Eight key quotes from Anil Kumble's first press conference as India coach