Isinbayeva excited to be Sochi torchbearer
Moscow: Russian pole vault star Yelena Isinbayeva said she was proud to be a torchbearer of the Sochi Winter Olympics.
"It`s really cool to be a torchbearer, to touch the Winter Games, because this is something different from the Summer Olympics," Isinbayeva as saying on Wednesday.
"It will be lovely just to be there," said the Athens and Beijing Olympic champion, who has also been appointed the mayoress of the coastal athletes` village.
The 31-year-old veteran will retire after the next month`s World Athletics Championships in Moscow, and later she will act as an ambassador for Russian sport in the country`s first-ever Winter Olympics in February.
Russia`s torch relay is set to travel a record 65,000 km through all 83 regions with 14,000 carriers.
After arriving from Greece in October, the flame will commence its tour on Oct 7 in Moscow. It will head east and loop around the Kamchatka Peninsula, down to Vladivostok and back across southern Siberia via Lake Baikal, the world`s largest freshwater lake.
The torch will go back into European Russia after making its way through more than 2,900 towns and cities, eventually settling down at the Black Sea resort of Sochi for the opening ceremony on Feb 7, 2014.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured