It`s a pleasant surprise to receive this honour: Poonia
New Delhi: Ace discus thrower Krishna Poonia did not even know her name had been recommended by the AFI for Padma Shri award and the honour has come as "pleasant surprise."
"I did not know my name was recommended by the Atheltics Federation of India (AFI) for the award. I was pleasantly surprised because I came to know about it only from the media," was Poonia`s first reactions.
"I am happy that I have got the award after my historic performance in CWG. I became the first Indian woman to win an individual athletics gold in CWG and I think that was the main reason for me getting this award."
Poonia feels that this award will be a motivation do strive hard and earn more laurels for the country.
"It will give motivation to do better in the coming events, including the London Olympics in 2012. This is also an honour for the athletics fraternity of our country."
"I dedicate the award to my family, colleagues and the people of India," she concluded.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Disruption of Parliament not acceptable, for God's sake, do your job: President Pranab Mukherjee to MPs