It`s a pleasant surprise to receive this honour: Poonia
New Delhi: Ace discus thrower Krishna Poonia did not even know her name had been recommended by the AFI for Padma Shri award and the honour has come as "pleasant surprise."
"I did not know my name was recommended by the Atheltics Federation of India (AFI) for the award. I was pleasantly surprised because I came to know about it only from the media," was Poonia`s first reactions.
"I am happy that I have got the award after my historic performance in CWG. I became the first Indian woman to win an individual athletics gold in CWG and I think that was the main reason for me getting this award."
Poonia feels that this award will be a motivation do strive hard and earn more laurels for the country.
"It will give motivation to do better in the coming events, including the London Olympics in 2012. This is also an honour for the athletics fraternity of our country."
"I dedicate the award to my family, colleagues and the people of India," she concluded.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Kejriwal's electricity bill exceeds Rs 1 lakh in two months: RTI
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Bangladeshi newspaper mocks Indian team with half-shaved heads
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional
- Manipur ambush: Key NSCN(K) leader involved in killing of 18 Army personnel arrested by NIA