It`s a pleasant surprise to receive this honour: Poonia
New Delhi: Ace discus thrower Krishna Poonia did not even know her name had been recommended by the AFI for Padma Shri award and the honour has come as "pleasant surprise."
"I did not know my name was recommended by the Atheltics Federation of India (AFI) for the award. I was pleasantly surprised because I came to know about it only from the media," was Poonia`s first reactions.
"I am happy that I have got the award after my historic performance in CWG. I became the first Indian woman to win an individual athletics gold in CWG and I think that was the main reason for me getting this award."
Poonia feels that this award will be a motivation do strive hard and earn more laurels for the country.
"It will give motivation to do better in the coming events, including the London Olympics in 2012. This is also an honour for the athletics fraternity of our country."
"I dedicate the award to my family, colleagues and the people of India," she concluded.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Lalu Prasad Yadav calls PM Modi ''Kans'', BJP ''Bharat Jalao Party''
- What's the motive behind politicising Yakub Memon's death penalty?
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed