It`s a pleasant surprise to receive this honour: Poonia
New Delhi: Ace discus thrower Krishna Poonia did not even know her name had been recommended by the AFI for Padma Shri award and the honour has come as "pleasant surprise."
"I did not know my name was recommended by the Atheltics Federation of India (AFI) for the award. I was pleasantly surprised because I came to know about it only from the media," was Poonia`s first reactions.
"I am happy that I have got the award after my historic performance in CWG. I became the first Indian woman to win an individual athletics gold in CWG and I think that was the main reason for me getting this award."
Poonia feels that this award will be a motivation do strive hard and earn more laurels for the country.
"It will give motivation to do better in the coming events, including the London Olympics in 2012. This is also an honour for the athletics fraternity of our country."
"I dedicate the award to my family, colleagues and the people of India," she concluded.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Outrage over Tanmay Bhatt's video mocking Lata Mangeshkar, Sachin Tendulkar
- VHP's women wing Durga Vahini gives arms training to children!
- Heavy rain disrupts flight operations in Delhi
- MP: Liquor mafia attacks police, journalists with weapons
- Attack on African nationals: Gen VK Singh slammed for his statement
- Islamic State selling sex slaves on Facebook for $8,000
- Puducherry: Narayanasamy to meet Lt Gov Kiran Bedi today, stake claim to form govt
- Armed squad kills 11 people in Venezuela: Official
- Khalistan terror camp running in Canada to attack Punjab; Justin Trudeau govt alerted
- Barack Obama could be Hillary's secret weapon in rallying Democratic support: Report