It`s TN vs Punjab and Indian Railways vs Chhattisgarh in final
Chennai: Tamil Nadu earned a shot at their sixth title in the men`s competition by reaching the final while the reigning women`s champions Indian Railways also made the summit clash of the 62nd National Basketball championship on Friday.
Tamil Nadu, which won five titles in a row from 1999 to 2003, got the better of last year finalists Services 74-70 in the extra time of the semifinal contest.
Tamil Nadu will take on Punjab, which defeated Indian Railways 95-57.
The women team of Indian Railways relatively had an easy outing as they outplayed Tamil Nadu 76-41 in their semi-finals.
The defending champions will take on Chhattisgarh, which pipped Delhi 59-56 in a close semifinal contest.
In the men`s semifinals, Services looked a disjointed lot as they trailed 33-45 at the break but Praveen Dhaiya was instrumental in the team`s comeback in the second half.
With Praveen coming up with two pointers at frequent intervals, Services managed to reduce the margin to 53-58 at the end of the third quarter and then the match became more interesting.
Tamil Nadu wilted under pressure midway as Services started taking control of the proceedings. At one stage Services even led 61-60.
In between Tamil Nadu`s top scorer Mihir Pandey and Services stars Vipin and Narender Grewal played beautifully and the teams were locked 64-64 and then 66-66 at the 40 minutes of regulation time.
Teams were locked 70-70 in extra-time when Tamil Nadu`s Saravana Rajan gained free throws for a foul by a Services defender. Rajan cashed in on the opportunity and came with three throws (two plus one) for points to steer the side to the final.
For Tamil Nadu Mihir Pandey top scored with 20 points and Saravana Rajan accounted for 18, while Services were helped by Narender Grewal (20) and Vipin (15).
The Railways-Tamil Nadu women match was one-sided throughout as Geetu Anna Jose, who played the full 40 minutes of match, spearheaded the team`s win.
Geetu netted 25 points and was well supported by Anitha Paul Durai (15) and Manisha S Dange (12). While for Tamil Nadu`s Sangeetha (12), Neena Harendran (9) and Apoorva Muralinath (8) were the main scroers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22