Jamaica `dropped the ball` on doping: WADA
Johannesburg: Jamaica blundered in catching doping athletes, the world doping police body said on Tuesday, after high-profile athletes like former 100-meter sprint champion Asafa Powell tested positive for banned substances.
"It`s quite clear" the Caribbean island`s current testing is "not enough", said World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) president John Fahey.
"We`ve given them significant assistance in the past. They dropped the ball."
Seven Jamaican athletes, including Powell and two-time 200-meter Olympic champion Veronica Campbell-Brown, tested positive this year.
The WADA board will receive a report on Friday after a team visited the country in October.
"That report... Contains key recommendations. They deal with governance, they deal with operations," Fahey told a news conference at the World Conference on Doping in Sport in Johannesburg.
"We have asked the minister of sport of Jamaica to send comments by the end of this week, as well as the president of the Jamaican anti-doping commission."
One of the recommendations was for the island to partner with another country to get its doping agencies up to scratch, said Fahey.
"We have encouraged them to enter into an international partnership. We`ve found that`s been very effective in other areas in anti-doping."
He declined to elaborate on other recommendations.
But Fahey acknowledged "there`s a recognition in Jamaica that they have to do a whole lot better and that they have to beef up their skills set."
World sports leaders meet over four days at the fourth anti-doping conference to decide the future of the battle against the use of banned substances.
The conference will ratify new, more stringent anti-doping rules and also fine-tune testing according to different sporting codes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Funny video alert! Nana Patekar’s ‘Beat Pe Booty’ mashup is hilarious
- Awwdorable photo alert! Shahid Kapoor, Mira Rajput and her baby bump
- Is Sonakshi Sinha a part of Salman Khan’s ‘Dabangg 3’? Here’s the answer
- Kareena Kapoor Khan not in ‘Veerey Di Wedding’? Sonam Kapoor will tell you the truth
- Magnitude 6.4 quake hits Italy near Perugia – USGS