Japan`s Olympic champion jailed for rape
Tokyo: Masato Uchishiba, a two-time Olympic judo champion, was Friday sentenced to five years in prison for rape by a Tokyo court.
Uchishiba, who coached a women`s judo club at Kyushu University of Nursing and Social Welfare, raped a female member at a Tokyo hotel after drinking in 2011.
The victim was an 18-year-old university student.
The prosecutors had given the 34-year-old Olympic champion a five-year jail term, saying there was "no doubt he raped the student who could not resist because she had passed out drunk."
Uchishiba was arrested in December 2011 and barred from all judo activities by the All Japan Judo Federation.
He won the gold in the men`s under 66-kg division at the 2004 Olympics in Athens and at the 2008 Olympics in Beijing.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy?
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part II
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part III
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part IV
- Panel discussion over India's bid for NSG
- PM Narendra Modi meets Chinese President Xi Jinping, seeks support for India's NSG bid
- Focus on defence, security as PM Modi meets Uzbek President
- President tells IIT, IISc-Bangalore and IISER scholars to make India great
- Accident blocks Delhi-Howrah rail route, two dozen trains diverted
- Israel says Abbas reviving old `blood libel` against Jews