Japan`s Olympic champion jailed for rape
Tokyo: Masato Uchishiba, a two-time Olympic judo champion, was Friday sentenced to five years in prison for rape by a Tokyo court.
Uchishiba, who coached a women`s judo club at Kyushu University of Nursing and Social Welfare, raped a female member at a Tokyo hotel after drinking in 2011.
The victim was an 18-year-old university student.
The prosecutors had given the 34-year-old Olympic champion a five-year jail term, saying there was "no doubt he raped the student who could not resist because she had passed out drunk."
Uchishiba was arrested in December 2011 and barred from all judo activities by the All Japan Judo Federation.
He won the gold in the men`s under 66-kg division at the 2004 Olympics in Athens and at the 2008 Olympics in Beijing.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- UP elections: Mulayam Singh says he will campaign for son Akhilesh
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Virat Kohli vs Sachin Tendulkar: Who is a better cricketer? Read what Virender Sehwag has to say