Japan`s Olympic champion jailed for rape
Tokyo: Masato Uchishiba, a two-time Olympic judo champion, was Friday sentenced to five years in prison for rape by a Tokyo court.
Uchishiba, who coached a women`s judo club at Kyushu University of Nursing and Social Welfare, raped a female member at a Tokyo hotel after drinking in 2011.
The victim was an 18-year-old university student.
The prosecutors had given the 34-year-old Olympic champion a five-year jail term, saying there was "no doubt he raped the student who could not resist because she had passed out drunk."
Uchishiba was arrested in December 2011 and barred from all judo activities by the All Japan Judo Federation.
He won the gold in the men`s under 66-kg division at the 2004 Olympics in Athens and at the 2008 Olympics in Beijing.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Don't give any importance to Ramgopal Yadav's remarks: Mulayam Singh Yadav
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town