Japan speeds up evacuation plans of 2020 Olympics facilities
Tokyo: Japan will reportedly speed up the evacuation plans for the 2020 Olympic and Paralympic games, following a warning of 70 percent likelihood of a large earthquake striking the capital within 30 years.
The Tokyo Metropolitan Government will draw upevacuation plans for each athletic facility and build seawalls against potential tsunami and improve roads and other transportation infrastructure, theJapan Times reports.
The Central Disaster Management Council urged Tokyo to take precautionary steps as its report released last week revealed that a tsunami up to 2 meters high could strike the bay, if anearthquake occurs directly beneath the capital.
Some 10 million people are expected to flock to the capital to witness the sporting spectacle, the report added.
The city government is planning to make floodgate equipment waterproof and also increase the height of the construction site for the Olympic Village.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical