Japan speeds up evacuation plans of 2020 Olympics facilities
Tokyo: Japan will reportedly speed up the evacuation plans for the 2020 Olympic and Paralympic games, following a warning of 70 percent likelihood of a large earthquake striking the capital within 30 years.
The Tokyo Metropolitan Government will draw upevacuation plans for each athletic facility and build seawalls against potential tsunami and improve roads and other transportation infrastructure, theJapan Times reports.
The Central Disaster Management Council urged Tokyo to take precautionary steps as its report released last week revealed that a tsunami up to 2 meters high could strike the bay, if anearthquake occurs directly beneath the capital.
Some 10 million people are expected to flock to the capital to witness the sporting spectacle, the report added.
The city government is planning to make floodgate equipment waterproof and also increase the height of the construction site for the Olympic Village.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row- Part II
- PM Modi breaks protocol to receive Abu Dhabi Crown Prince Al Nahyan
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Paid sex: Good or bad? This girl was too eager to find out - Watch what happened!