Japan speeds up evacuation plans of 2020 Olympics facilities
Tokyo: Japan will reportedly speed up the evacuation plans for the 2020 Olympic and Paralympic games, following a warning of 70 percent likelihood of a large earthquake striking the capital within 30 years.
The Tokyo Metropolitan Government will draw upevacuation plans for each athletic facility and build seawalls against potential tsunami and improve roads and other transportation infrastructure, theJapan Times reports.
The Central Disaster Management Council urged Tokyo to take precautionary steps as its report released last week revealed that a tsunami up to 2 meters high could strike the bay, if anearthquake occurs directly beneath the capital.
Some 10 million people are expected to flock to the capital to witness the sporting spectacle, the report added.
The city government is planning to make floodgate equipment waterproof and also increase the height of the construction site for the Olympic Village.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Shahid Kapoor-Mira Rajput wedding: Check out their first picture as a couple!
- Vyapam scam: Congress accuses MP CM of 'misleading' people, demands his resignation
- Vyapam scam: After over 45 deaths, can Shivraj Singh Chouhan resist CBI probe?