Japan speeds up evacuation plans of 2020 Olympics facilities
Tokyo: Japan will reportedly speed up the evacuation plans for the 2020 Olympic and Paralympic games, following a warning of 70 percent likelihood of a large earthquake striking the capital within 30 years.
The Tokyo Metropolitan Government will draw upevacuation plans for each athletic facility and build seawalls against potential tsunami and improve roads and other transportation infrastructure, theJapan Times reports.
The Central Disaster Management Council urged Tokyo to take precautionary steps as its report released last week revealed that a tsunami up to 2 meters high could strike the bay, if anearthquake occurs directly beneath the capital.
Some 10 million people are expected to flock to the capital to witness the sporting spectacle, the report added.
The city government is planning to make floodgate equipment waterproof and also increase the height of the construction site for the Olympic Village.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you