Japan starts petition site to keep wresting in Olympics
Tokyo: Japan on Monday launched an online petition site with the aim of submitting 100,000 signatures to the International Olympic Committee to keep wrestling in the Olympics.
Wrestling is set to be dropped from the 2020 Olympic Games after the organisers decided to drop the game to make way for a new sport.
The website, titled "Save Olympic Wrestling", launched by Japan Wrestling Federation can be accessed in several languages.
The federation plans to submit the signatures to the IOC by its executive board meeting in May, when the IOC decides which sports to propose for the 2020 Summer Games.
Wrestling will be competing for the last of 28 spots for 2020 against the joint bid of baseball and softball, squash, karate, roller sports, wakeboarding, sport climbing and wushu.
"We won four gold medals at the 2012 London Olympics and at least one at 15 straight competitions," the JWF said in a statement on the petition site.
"The Japan Wrestling Federation is deeply disappointed by the decision to try to remove wrestling from the Olympics.
We ask everyone for their support to keep wrestling at the Olympic Games for 2020 and beyond.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- Baba Ramdev's Patanjali enters big retail with Future Group tie-up
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Bihar Assembly Elections: Opinion poll predicts absolute majority for Modi-led NDA
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest
- Mother Teresa’s Missionaries of Charity orphanages to be derecognised?