Japanese boxer wins WBA super featherweight title
Tokyo: Japan`s Takashi Uchiyama retained the World Boxing Association (WBA) super featherweight title beating Costa Rica`s Bryan "Tiquito" Vasquez.
During Monday`s bout, Uchiyama was in control as he deflected the nervous jabs of Vasquez, who was visibly running out of steam as the fight progressed.
In the eighth round, Uchiyama delivered a heavy blow to Vasquez`s face and then followed up with a series of punches that forced the referee to suspend the fight and declare a technical knockout (TKO) by the Japanese featherweight.
Vasquez`s defeat dashed any hopes Costa Rican boxing had of winning a world title before the close of 2012, or of winning a men`s world boxing championship for the first time ever.
To date, the only Costa Rican ever to win a world boxing crown is Hanna Gabriel, Vasquez`s wife, who currently holds the World Boxing Organisation (WBO) super welterweight title.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Analysing the importance of Hindi language in our society
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video