Japanese boxer wins WBA super featherweight title
Tokyo: Japan`s Takashi Uchiyama retained the World Boxing Association (WBA) super featherweight title beating Costa Rica`s Bryan "Tiquito" Vasquez.
During Monday`s bout, Uchiyama was in control as he deflected the nervous jabs of Vasquez, who was visibly running out of steam as the fight progressed.
In the eighth round, Uchiyama delivered a heavy blow to Vasquez`s face and then followed up with a series of punches that forced the referee to suspend the fight and declare a technical knockout (TKO) by the Japanese featherweight.
Vasquez`s defeat dashed any hopes Costa Rican boxing had of winning a world title before the close of 2012, or of winning a men`s world boxing championship for the first time ever.
To date, the only Costa Rican ever to win a world boxing crown is Hanna Gabriel, Vasquez`s wife, who currently holds the World Boxing Organisation (WBO) super welterweight title.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days