Jayaram enters pre-quarters of German Open
New Delhi: Indian shuttler Ajay Jayram stormed into the pre-quarterfinals of the men`s singles event of the German Open badminton championship after notching up a straight game win over Riichi Takeshita of Japan in Mlheim an der Ruhr, Germany on Wednesday.
World number 32 and seeded 10th in the tournament, Jayram prevailed over his Japanese rival Takeshita 21-17 21-16 in 37 minutes to set up a clash against eighth seed Tommy Sugiarto of Indonesia in the next round.
The Indian shuttlers had a relatively good outing in the men`s singles event as apart from Jayram, Anand Pawar and Arvind Bhat also reached the second round of the event.
World number 51 Pawar defeated Michael Lahnsteiner of Austria 22-20 16-21 21-16, while Arvind got the better of compatriot Anup Sridhar 21-17 21-15 in the opening round matches.
Pawar will meet sixth seed Viktor Axelsen of Denmark in the next round, while Arvind will be up against second seed Boonsak Ponsana.
However, it was curtains for RMV Gurusaidutt, who lost to Bin Qiao of China 17-21 11-21 in another men`s singles match.
There was good news for India in the women`s section as well as Ashwini Ponnappa reached the second round of the mixed doubles as well as women`s doubles events.
Partnering Tarun Kona, Ahwini today shocked fifth seeds Riky Widianto and Puspita Richi Dili of Indonesia in the opening round of the mixed double event.
The Indian duo came from a set down to clinch the match 23-25 21-16 21-17.
The duo will play England`s Gabrielle White and Chris Adcock in the next round.
After her mixed doubles win, Ashwini also tasted success in the women`s doubles event along with Pradnya Gadre as the pair beat Netherland`s Samantha Barning and Eefje Muskens 22-20 21-11 in the opening round.
Ashwini and Pradnya will take on Korean pairing of Kyung Eun Jung and Ha Na Kim in the next round.
However, it was curtains for Arun Vishnu and Aparna Balan as they lost 21-10 21-17 to Chun Hei Lee and Hoi Wah Chau of Hong Kong in the first round of the mixed doubles event.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price