Jayaram packs off World No. 9 at China Masters
Changzhou (China): India`s Ajay Jayaram outplayed World No.9 Kenichi Tago while his compatriot R.M.V. Gurusaidutt beat higher-ranked Muhammad Hafiz Hashim in the men`s singles opening round at the China Masters badminton event here Wednesday.
Parupalli Kashyap, India`s highest-ranked player in the tournament at 20, had to dig deep for a 21-13, 14-21, 21-19 win over 164th-ranked Gao Huan from China. The eighth seed next runs into Gurusaidutt, who outwitted Hashim of Malaysia 21-18, 19-21, 21-13 after a one-hour battle. World No.31 Hashim is ranked 25 places higher than the Indian.
Jayaram, ranked 32nd, outplayed Tago 21-13, 21-17 for his second win against the Japanese in as many matches. He takes on Zi Liang Derek Wong of Singapore in the second round.
World No. 40 Sourabh Varma defeated 28th-ranked Daren Liew of Malaysia 19-21, 21-17, 21-12, setting up a clash with Chinese Taipei`s Hsu Jen Hao.
Anand Pawar, however, suffered a 17-21, 12-21 loss against second seed Jin Chen of China.
In the women`s singles, P.V. Sindhu did not face much difficulty in brushing aside American Jamie Subandhi 21-15, 21-12. She meets Thailand`s Porntip Buranaprasertsuk in the second round.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Hindu girl embraces Islam to marry Shahi Imam Bukhari's son?
- Pakistan take note! Indian military 5th deadliest in the world
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video