Jaypee Punjab Warriors to shift base next season
New Delhi: Jaypee Punjab Warriors will be shifting their base from Jalandhar to Mohali from the next season of the Hockey Indian League (HIL) for logistical reasons.
Askari Zaidi, senior vice-president Jaypee Group, told IANS Saturday that Mohali will be their next home. Mohali is also the home of Indian Premier League (IPL) franchise Kings XI Punjab.
"We will be shifting base next year due to logistical reasons. Mohali will be our next home. We have a great stadium coming up in Mohali that is being built by the state government. It will have a blue turf," said Zaidi.
Zaidi said Jaypee will have to bear huge travelling costs in the first season since Jalandhar is not well connected with all major cities.
"Jalandhar is not connected well with other cities. The nearest airport is Amritsar and the it is also 80-85 kms away. But Mohali has good air connectivity," he said.
Hockey India (HI) secretary general Narinder Batra told IANS that Mohali was the first choice of cities for the league but since the stadium was not ready it was replaced by Jalandhar.
"Mohali was among the 13 cities shortlisted for the league. But due to unavailability of stadiums we had to replace it with Jalandhar," said Batra.
Jalandhar has been the hub of Indian hockey for more than a century. The Sansarpur village in the district of Jalandhar has the distinction of producing most number of hockey Olympians.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @10 am
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'