Jitendra Singh launches Cycling Academy, swimming pool project
New Delhi: Sports Minister Jitendra Singh on Wednesday inaugurated the National Cycling Academy at Indira Gandhi Sports Complex and launched a project to create swimming pools at three separate stadiums in the capital.
At an estimated cost of Rs 907.50 lakhs, the project of creating swimming pools will come up at the Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium (JNS), Indira Gandhi Sports Complex (IGSC) and Dr Karni Singh Shooting Range.
On the occasion, Singh also launched a Community Connect Scheme to include sports and recreational facilities in JNS, IGSC and the Shyama Prasad Mukherjee Swimming Complex.
The Sports Authority of India`s National Cycling Academy (SAI NCA), with complete back-up facilities, has been set up following the decision taken in the 42nd meeting of the Governing Body of SAI.
The academy will be financed by the Government of India, Ministry of Youth Affairs & Sports through SAI with a long-term perspective of making it a top notch academy, which is financially independent and a self-sustaining venture.
"The Academy will cater to the identification and nurturing of young talent at both sub-junior and junior levels and the training of elite athletes in the run up to their preparations for international/national competitions," Singh said.
"The academy is supported by a proper gymnasium and the latest technical support like a fully-equipped workshop for cycles. The coaches will be recruited from both India and abroad for the Academy," he added.
Since Cycling Federation of India, an affiliate of the International Cycling Federation, is a major stakeholder in the cycling discipline, a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) will be entered into, seeking their support and giving them conducive environment.
In the second phase, SAI will also approach the World Cycling Centre of UCI at Aigle, Switzerland to make their coaches available from time to time to guide in the training techniques and finally convert the academy into a satellite centre of the UCI World Cycling Centre.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed