Johor Cup: India thrash Korea 6-1, book final berth
Johor Bahru: India Thursday virtually sealed a place in the final of the U-21 3rd Sultan of Johor Cup handing out a 6-1 thrashing to South Korea at the Taman Daya Hockey stadium here.
It was India`s fourth consecutive win, after beating England (2-1), Argentina (3-2) and Pakistan (4-0). India have collected 12 points and will play their last match in the preliminary stage Saturday against Malaysia.
However, India can confirm their berth only if Malaysia beat Pakistan in Thursday`s last match. A win for the hosts will also secure a final spot for them as well.
It was a commanding performance from the Indians as they dominated the first half, racing to a comfortable 3-0 lead.
India opened the scoring through Amit Rohidass in the seventh minute whose penalty corner drag flick sailed high into the right hand corner of the South Korean goal with keeper Lee Se Young watching helplessly.
Two minutes later India doubled their advantage as Satbir Singh put the finishing touches to a move from the right by Harjeet Singh.
India widened their advantage as Talwinder Singh scored in the 31st minute to make it 3-0.
However, the Koreans managed to reduce the deficit in the 34th minute when You Seung Ju scored from a penalty corner.
India slowed down the pace in the second half and allowed the Koreans to win a couple of penalty corners but which failed conversion.
Amon Mirash Tirkey scored India`s fourth goal in the 57th minute and Ramandeep Singh scored the fifth in the 62nd minute. Yusof Affan completed the rout in the 65th minute to make it 6-1 for India.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE Results 2015: 12th board exam results to be declared on May 25