Junior Hockey WC: India to play Pakistan for 9-10th place
New Delhi: Ramandeep Singh scored two field goals to guide India to a comfortable 4-2 win over Argentina today and set up a mouth-watering clash against arch-rivals Pakistan in the 9th-10th place classification match at the Hero Junior Men`s Hockey World Cup here.
Though he was late to rise to the occasion, Ramandeep (4th minute, 31st) showed his scoring prowess by scoring two fantastic field goals in the 9-12th place classification match at the Major Dhyan Chand National Stadium.
Apart from Ramdeep, the drag-flick specialists Amit Rohidas (7th) and Gurjinder Singh (40th) were the other goal-getters for the hosts.
Argentina`s goals came from the sticks of Lucas Martinz in the 38th minute and Lautaro Diaz in the 69th minute.
India will now face neighbours Pakistan in the 9-10th place play-off match on Saturday.
Pakistan had defeated South Africa 4-0 in their 9-12th place classification match earlier in the day.
Argentina will play South Africa in the 11th-12th place classification game on Saturday.
Out of the podium race, the Indians came out like wounded tigers and dominated the share of exchanges in the opening half.
India controlled the proceeding from the word go and surged ahead in the fourth minute of the match through Ramandeep, who after receiving a through pass from Rohidas, dodged past an Argentine defender to score from the right corner of the circle.
Three minutes later, Rohidas doubled India`s lead by converting the first penalty corner awarded to the hosts with a grounded flick.
Argentina`s best moments came in the middle of the opening period when they earned two back-to-back penalty corners but India`s defence was up to the task to thwart any danger to their goal.
Ramandeep was once again at the thick of things when he scored a brilliant field goal in the 31st minute after dodging past three Argentine defenders to help India go into the breather with a three-goal cushion.
India were slow to get off the blocks after the crossover and Argentina were quick to utilise the moment by pulling one back three minutes into the second half.
Martinez beautifully deflected in skipper Gonzalo Peillat`s pass from the midfield to make the scoreline 3-1.
But it did not take India too long to restore their three-goal lead as Gurjinder converted a penalty corner soon.
Argentina had their chances but lacked in execution as they wasted another penalty corner in the second half.
India too wasted quite a few scoring opportunities, which included two more penalty corners, in the second half.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt