Junior Hockey World Cup: Netherlands win bronze
New Delhi: The Netherlands spanked Malaysia 7-2 to bag the bronze medal in the Hero Junior Men`s Hockey World Cup at the Major Dhyan Chand Stadium, here on Sunday.
Last edition`s silver medallists, Netherlands dished out a clinical performance to rout Malaysia in a lop-sided third-fourth place classification match.
The Netherlands made the encounter a no contest by racing to a 5-1 lead in the first half before pumping in two more goals after the crossover.
For Netherlands, Thierry Brinkman (6th minute, 28th) and Tom Hiebendaal (18th, 37th) scored a brace each, while skipper Roel Bovendeert (3rd), Milan van Baal (23rd) and Jelle (Galema) found the back of the net once each.
Zulhairi Hashim converted two penalty corners in the seventh and 60th minutes to redeem some pride for the Malaysians.
Malaysia, however, had lot of positives to take from the match as they finished on a creditable fourth spot after 1985.
Meanwhile, Australia secured the fifth position by beating Belgium 3-2 in the penalty shoot-out after both the teams were locked at 2-2 at the end of regulation time.
While Belgium took the sixth spot, New Zealand finished seventh following their 4-2 win over Korea in the seventh-eighth play-off match.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre