Jwala-Ashwini fail to enter All England main draw
Birmingham: Women`s doubles specialists Jwala Gutta and Ashwini Ponnappa failed to make the main draw of the $400,000 All England Open Badminton Championships at the National Indoor Arena here Tuesday.
It turned out to be a bad day for Indian shuttlers at the 104th edition of the championships as all others also lost their respective qualifying matches.
Having received a first round bye, Jwala and Ashwini lost in the second round of qualification to Chinese pair of Jin Ma and Yuanting Tang in 54 minutes. The Chinese pair won 14-21, 21-15, 21-17.
Earlier, Mumbai`s Anand Pawar was upset by Indonesian Andre Kurniawan Tedjono 18-21, 21-13, 21-19 in the first round of the men`s singles qualifiers while Thane girl Saili Rane lost to Ireland`s Chloe Magee 21-23, 20-22 in 47 minutes.
Indonesian mixed doubles pair Gideon Markus Fernaldi and Rizki Amelia Pradipta made short work of India`s Abhishek Ahlawat and Kristi Das 21-8, 21-8 in only 14 minutes at the Super Series Premier.
All hopes will now be on Saina Nehwal and P.V. Sindhu in women`s singles and Kidambi Srikanth and Parupalli Kashyap in men`s singles who start their campaign Wednesday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory
- Trinamool Congress activist was part of Pak ISI spy ring?
- SP leader Azam Khan stirs fresh controversy, says RSS leaders are homosexuals
- WATCH: Pakistan vs England, 3rd T20: Complete highlights
- Priyanka Chopra’s sex scene from ‘Quantico’ goes viral – Watch video