Jwala-Ashwini lose in Bitburger Open
New Delhi: India`s women`s doubles pair of Jwala Gutta and Ashwini Ponnappa on Thursday crashed out of the Bitburger Open Grand Prix Gold after suffering a straight-game defeat against the Malaysian pair of Hui Ern Ng and Hui Lin Ng in the second round in Saarbrucken, Germany.
The Commonwealth Games gold-medallist pair lost 15-21 16-21 to the fourth seed duo of Hui Ern and Hui Lin in a 26-minute match this evening.
In men`s singles competition, Anand Pawar let go a one game advantage to lose against Ireland`s Scott Ivans 16-21 21-17 21-6 in a hard-fought contest.
It was curtains for P C Thulasi in the women`s section when the Indian lost her battle against sixth seed Sashina Vignes Waran of France 21-18 14-21 14-21 in a match that lasted 54 minutes.
Earlier, the mixed doubles pair of Ashwini and Tarun Kona matched their opponents, Sweden`s Nico Ruponen and Amanda Hogstrom, in smash and net play but eventually ran out of steam in the dying moments of the decider.
Ashwini-Kona lost 15-21 21-19 17-21 after giving the Swedish pair a run for their money.
In the opening round, the pair of Jwala-Ashwini had brushed aside the challenge of Germany`s Anika Dorr and Annika Horbach 21-14 21-11.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details