Jwala-Ashwini lose in Bitburger Open
New Delhi: India`s women`s doubles pair of Jwala Gutta and Ashwini Ponnappa on Thursday crashed out of the Bitburger Open Grand Prix Gold after suffering a straight-game defeat against the Malaysian pair of Hui Ern Ng and Hui Lin Ng in the second round in Saarbrucken, Germany.
The Commonwealth Games gold-medallist pair lost 15-21 16-21 to the fourth seed duo of Hui Ern and Hui Lin in a 26-minute match this evening.
In men`s singles competition, Anand Pawar let go a one game advantage to lose against Ireland`s Scott Ivans 16-21 21-17 21-6 in a hard-fought contest.
It was curtains for P C Thulasi in the women`s section when the Indian lost her battle against sixth seed Sashina Vignes Waran of France 21-18 14-21 14-21 in a match that lasted 54 minutes.
Earlier, the mixed doubles pair of Ashwini and Tarun Kona matched their opponents, Sweden`s Nico Ruponen and Amanda Hogstrom, in smash and net play but eventually ran out of steam in the dying moments of the decider.
Ashwini-Kona lost 15-21 21-19 17-21 after giving the Swedish pair a run for their money.
In the opening round, the pair of Jwala-Ashwini had brushed aside the challenge of Germany`s Anika Dorr and Annika Horbach 21-14 21-11.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 1 billion reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing