Jwala Gutta meets Delhi smashers and lawyers to chalk out plan
New Delhi: With the BAI mounting pressure on Jwala Gutta, the top doubles exponent today had a series of meetings with her IBL franchise Krrish Delhi Smashers and lawyers here to chalk out the next course of action in her fight against the recommended life ban.
The Badminton Association of India (BAI) had ruled out considering Jwala for selection in any international events in the next one month, pending a decision by the three-member committee that was formed yesterday by President Akhilesh Das Gupta. It means the Commonwealth Games gold medallist won`t be able to play in Denmark and French Open.
Jwala`s father, Kranti Gutta said that they are weighing all options and hoped the Sports Ministry takes suo moto notice of the issue.
"They have formed a committee and we have got the letter. We have kept open all options, including legal option. I hope the Sports Ministry takes suo moto notice of the issue," Kranti Gutta said.
"I hope the BAI realises that Jwala was not at fault and this issue gets sorted out as soon as possible."
Asked if the Sports Ministry is looking to interfere in the matter, an official said: "We have to look at the grounds on which we can intervene.
"So far, we have not been approached by anyone. But if someone contacts us that we will see what can be done."
The BAI`s disciplinary committee had recommended a life ban on Jwala for trying to stop some players of her franchise Delhi Smashers from playing a match against Banga Beats in the recent Indian Badminton League.
The BAI demanded an "unconditional apology" from the feisty shuttle to consider her case.
However, an insider said: "Jwala is innocent and she has not done any crime. So there is no way she will apologise."
While Jwala has maintained silence, National chief coach Pullela Gopichand, has also remained tight lipped on the matter. "I don`t want to comment on this issue" is all that he said.
The three-member panel comprises of Indian Olympic Association (IOA) joint secretary Anandeshwar Pandey, Luge Federation of India president Deepa Mehta and Swati Shukla, a former associate of the Commonwealth Games Organising committee.
The committee is awaiting an answer from Jwala within a week.
The controversy had erupted during the August 25 tie when Delhi Smashers threatened to pull out against Banga Beats over the last-minute replacement of injured singles player, Hu Yun of Hong Kong with Denmark`s Jan Jorgensen.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- People storm to watch Salman Khan's 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' in Pakistan, leave hall teary-eyed