Kabaddi Asia Cup: Pakistan, India favourites to win gold
Islamabad: India and Pakistan will feature in the eight-nation second Kabaddi Asia Cup to be held at the Punjab Stadium in Lahore from Oct 27-31.
Sri Lanka, Iran, Nepal, Indonesia, Thailand and Afghanistan are the participating teams in the five-day event, where India and Pakistan are the favourites to win the gold medal, reports Xinhua.
Pakistan Kabaddi Federation (PKF) Secretary Mohammad Sarwar said that the home team is confident of winning the gold medal.
Pakistani lost the final of the inaugural event by 44-38 to India in Tehran in September last year.
"We are working hard on our team`s preparations and hopefully will not repeat mistakes that we did last year, and we shall lift the trophy," said Sarwar.
The teams will be divided into two groups and every team will play against each other in the group. The top two from each group will go through to the semi-finals.
The winning team will be awarded an amount of Rs.1.5 million ($15,957) while the runners-up will receive Rs.1 million ($10,638).
Pakistan has also announced to provide all the participating teams with free travel tickets besides arranging foolproof security during their stay in the country.
Pakistan has won silver medals at the 10th South Asian Games held in 2006 in Sri Lanka followed by 11th South Asian Games in 2010 in Bangladesh. The Pakistani team also won silver medal in the 2006 Asian Games held in Doha.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Disruption of Parliament not acceptable, for God's sake, do your job: President Pranab Mukherjee to MPs